Safe Routes to School
Safe Routes to School is a national program with a mission of making walking and biking a safer venture for children. The benefits of active transportation to school extend beyond the school day. Not only are students more awake and alert throughout the school day, but they are increasing their physical activity which leads to improved health and well-being.
Check out the map above for where Safe Routes to School have been planned and implemented around the state
In 2019, Get Fit Itasca helped to secure a 3 year grant for a Safe Routes to School Coordinator for ISD 318 and ISD 319. Get in touch with Anna to see how you can be a part of this initiative!
During the 2020/2021 school year, ARDC is working with ISD 318 and ISD 319 to create Safe Routes to School Plans. If you want to participate in the process or learn more about it, check out https://ardcplanning.org/srts/
1. New sidewalks around West and East Rapids Elementaries
2. New sidewalks on 7th Avenue NE between Murphy Elementary and the Robert J. Elkington Middle School.
3. New sidewalks on 8th ave NE leading down to the Robert J. Elkington Middle School.
Greenway began their Safe Routes to School Program in the fall of 2008. The program was adopted with a few goals in mind:
1. Help kids take a step toward a healthier lifestyle. With a growing rate of obesity and other health related problem of children and all Americans, walking and biking are good ways to help combat the problems.
2. Reduce the amount of unneeded transportation (cars, trucks, busses…) to drive kids to school who live within walking or biking distance.
3. Foster the sense of community.
The two main focuses of their Safe Routes program are Walking School Bus, and the Bike Train. There are now three official chaperoned walking routes in use, and one chaperoned bike route. The walking routes are all in Coleraine. We are planning on establishing a route set in Bovey, and safely connecting the two cities across the highway.
The walking and bike routes are chaperoned from the beginning of school in fall through the end of October, then restart in April through the end of the school year.
For more information about the national Safe Routes to School Program, visit their website at www.saferoutesinfo.org